If intense Scorpio is on the cusp of your 3rd House in your natal chart, this sign is going to influence how you communicate with the world. So what might having truth-seeking Scorpio in your 3rd House mean for you?
Having transformative Scorpio in the 3rd house of your natal chart may inspire you to be a passionate communicator. Others may think you are good at helping them talk through their problems without judging, but you may also have to power to know exactly what to say that will hurt someone the most.
Of course, very few things in life, or astrology for that matter, are this simple. Read on to learn more about how having Scorpio in your 3rd House could affect how you communicate and the strengths and challenges it could bring.
*We have a free, printable worksheet that goes along with this article about Scorpio in the 3rd House! Get instant access to our worksheet that will take your learning even further, FREE when you sign up for our newsletter below.
Characteristics of Scorpio in the 3rd House
Scorpio is a sign that seeks truth above all else. Social norms, taboos, “scandalous” topics, none of that scares off Scorpio or deters it from getting to the heart of matters, pulling what is hiding in the shadows into the light.
In this article, however, we need to keep Scorpio within the context of the 3rd House. The 3rd House is often referred to as the House of Communication.
Thinking of the 3rd House only as The House of Communication is pretty generic and short-sighted, however. Sure, it describes how you converse with others, but it also describes other ways you could express your feelings and ideas, such as through writing and art. How you think is also a part of this house.
Plus, the 3rd House determines how you listen. It is the lens that ideas and information from outside of you must pass through when entering your mind.
Examples of this are people who always seem to feel slighted or offended by others or people who always feel as though others have good intentions and have generally good interactions with people. These are two very different “listening filters” people could have and that could be indicated in the 3rd House.
Scorpio’s listening filter may have you always wondering how someone truly feels deep down, or what is the rest of the story. You may be able to pick up on how someone feels even if the person didn’t come out and say it. This definitely includes feelings that the person may be trying to repress or hide from themselves or others.
With Scorpio in your 3rd House, your style of communication may be intense and direct. Scorpio is passionate, powerful, and values honesty, even if it is ugly. In your 3rd House, you may find that you have no concern for “social acceptability” in conversation as it allows real feelings and thoughts to be masked by pretty, but fake, wrapping.
You may be good at speaking with people who are going through a hard time because you don’t shy away from uncomfortable topics. With Scorpio in your 3rd House, small talk at parties may be of no interest to you. Deep conversations, on the other hand, may light you up.
Besides communication, the 3rd House also describes the relationship you have with your siblings and other non-parent, relatives such as cousins, aunts, and uncles. The connection with other familiar people in your life, such as neighbors, could also be indicated in the 3rd House.
The relationship you have with your siblings or other close relatives may be complicated. Power struggles or competition could be present. The tone could be tumultuous, riding a roller-coaster of emotion, both good and bad. Either you or your sibling could be good at “sniffing out” when something is going on emotionally with the other and be helpful in talking and working through it.
One other part of life defined by the 3rd House is travel that doesn’t feel “foreign”. Going to the grocery store or on a weekend getaway would both be in this category. Visiting places that feel familiar or that are in your region where customs are the same as yours would fit here.
With Scorpio in your 3rd House, everyday travel may have its ups and downs. You may find other drivers, folks in the aisles at the store, or people in your neighborhood to be aggravating or irritating often. However, you may find some of them to be quite fascinating if you sense that there may be a great sea of depth hiding beneath the surface.
Scorpio in the 3rd House Strengths
- Honest: Scorpio values the truth and doesn’t have time to “put on airs” or “play the part” in a social situation. In the 3rd House, this may shine through as a candid honesty in conversations. You may be the only one in a group of people willing to speak the unvarnished and honest truth. If it’s uncomfortable but needs to be said, you may be the one willing to do it.
- Powerful intellect: Pluto lends Scorpio power, and in the 3rd House this could lead to a powerful mind. You may be good at digging deep into a subject you are researching.
- Always questions: This sign isn’t easily fooled, thanks to its strong mind. Scorpio is always looking for what lies under the surface, so in your 3rd House this may make you naturally skeptical. You may be better than others at looking before you leap.
- Helps others with words: At its heart, Scorpio can be a healer. In your 3rd House, you may be the person that others come to when they have a huge problem. You may not be the one people turn to for advice on every little mundane question. Rather, you may be the one they turn to when their ugliest, deepest, darkest secrets are about to come back to bite them. Because you may not shy away or judge them, talking through these types of problems with others can be incredibly transforming for them.
- Penetrating mind: Some think of Scorpio as the “detective of the Zodiac.” Not taking things for face value, it is always looking to uncover something. In your 3rd House, your mind may always be trying to figure out the “rest of the story.” You may be curious and want to dig deeper when you can sense there is more to something than meets the eye.
Challenges for Scorpio in the 3rd House
- Can be harsh: Because Scorpio can see under the surface, it is skilled at recognizing weaknesses, or “Achilles heels” in others. When hurt or threatened, Scorpio in the 3rd House has the potential to use them in an argument and possibly say something so hurtful that it can damage a relationship beyond repair.
- Lording knowledge and power over others: Pluto is powerful, and because it is influencing Scorpio in the 3rd House, this could come out Scorpio using its intellect to push its way above others and exert its dominance. Being condescending in conversation could also result.
- Putting up a wall: Scorpio is a water sign and is run by emotion. Water signs “feel” more than the other signs. In the 3rd House, Scorpio has the potential to close itself off by limiting conversation with others as a way to protect its vulnerability. If Scorpio in the 3rd is always quiet it may be because it is worried that if it starts speaking, its feelings with emerge for all to see.
- Tumultuous relationship with siblings: Because the 3rd House describes relationships with siblings and other close non-parental relationships, this energy may “flavor” Scorpio’s connection to its siblings. It could be that Scorpio itself can be overly competitive or moody at times in the relationship. Or, it could instead be the siblings who reflect that energy.
- Stubborn to change mind: Scorpio is a sign that has a fixed modality. It is here to continue what has already begun and it can be very challenging to change directions. For Scorpio in the 3rd House, this could come through as an unwillingness to change its opinion once its mind is made up. This isn’t necessarily a bad thing, but not everyone is right all of the time, even Scorpio.
The Significance of Pluto, Mars, and the Other Planets
Scorpio’s modern ruler is Pluto and its traditional ruler is Mars. With Scorpio in your 3rd house, wherever Pluto and Mars are situated in your chart is going to influence how Scorpio is expressed through your communication, short-range travel experiences, and your connection with your siblings.
With Pluto sitting in Sagittarius, for instance, this could add a bit more optimism to Scorpio in the 3rd, and perhaps it is less brooding and skeptical and just a bit more “bright side” and trusting. This placement could also inspire Scorpio to want to learn or communicate a bit more about philosophy.
Pluto in Taurus? Scorpio in the 3rd House may be a bit more hesitant to speak because it wants to make sure it has something of value to say and not speaking just to fill the void of silence. Taurus may temper Scorpio’s water nature and make it a bit more calm and down-to-earth in conversation. However, Taurus could also influence Scorpio to be even more stubborn in its opinions.
Planets that inhabit the 3rd House will also “add flavor” to the way in which you communicate with others, think, travel around your area, or interact with your siblings.
If the Moon is in the 3rd house, for instance, Scorpio’s watery nature will be amplified. Conversations, thoughts, and relationships with siblings may be even more emotions-driven.
Mercury in your 3rd house? Scorpio’s emotional mind may be tempered by Mercury’s logic and reasoning. This planet may bring a bit of balance to the sign’s thoughts and conversation, or it could leave it somewhat confused and torn between leading with the brain or leading with the heart. It could also entice Scorpio to break out of its shell a little more and seek out more conversation.
Please keep in mind that all of the descriptions given above are very general and there is a lot more complexity to life and astrology! Whenever you pull one piece out of your chart’s puzzle, such as Scorpio in the 3rd House, and read it by itself, it will always be in very broad terms and lack the intricacy that a full chart reading would bring.
However, this article should begin to offer you a taste of how having Scorpio in your 3rd house could affect how you think, your experiences when moving about in your area, your relationship with your siblings, and how you communicate with the people in your life!
Where Does Your Soul Want to Lead You?
DON’T JUST READ YOUR CHART, LEARN FROM IT WITH OUR FAST & FREE MINI-COURSE
Discover your personal road map. Take our FREE mini-course and learn how Evolutionary Astrology can help you find more purpose and enhance your life!